Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Seville

Yesterday we drove to Seville. It took two hours. I can not beleive that between our house and Seville there is no real road. According to our navigation system the only way to get from ours to thiers on a road with no lanes that winds through the mountains. We followed blindly the navigation system, passing by cows on the road, some really big potholes and curves that made you feel worse than being on a roller coaster. Half way in our adventure I asked Harry if he had set the navi to not use big roads because he was afraid of the toll roads, me I will pay. He said in the voice that everyone knows as not wanting to admit the truth, that he had checked and it was normal roads, although 5 minutes later when he thought I had forgotten the point, he checked the navi, only to confirm that yes it was set to normal roads, this was the normal way to Seville. I somehow doubt that, we met only 4 other cars on this trail. Gladly so, there was not room for two cars travelling in opposite directions. In any case we got there eventually and the countryside was nice. We planned to visit the Cathedral, Alcazar and Plaza de Espana. I also hoped to plunk the men somewhere and do some city girl shopping. However none of that was to be. We parked in El Centro, which is as Lonely Planet so reduntly states the centre of old Seville. It is completely made up of TINY streets, like a rats maze. We lost ourselves and the car after we left it. No matter we didn't need the car at this point, and the streets, restaurants and buildings were amazing. We eventually emerged near the cathedral, so we went there first. That was also our second last stop. This is the biggest (according to Harry's fathers travel guide) church in the world. I have been to the vatican, its not bigger. This place is huge, insanely huge. We were feelign a bit gyped about the 7.5 euro entry fee but well worth it. Its HUGE. We spent the entire afternoon in there. We saw Christopher Columbus crypt, climbed up the tower, looked at the tresury and the three giant pipe organs. Impressive.
We then went to find food, and realised that we had also managed to wander through the Alcazar gardens without realising it. We ate in a bodega, then fortified went in search of the car, each with his own plan aboout how best to find it. My strategy: keep quite and let the men duke it out. Harry was using his camera as a guide as he had taken photos along the way, where as Harrys father was using his sense of direction. There were a few disagreements, but after only 1 hour, we found it, and determined not to let navi fool us again, we set off for home.

But Harry caved to navi. We were doing so well, we were on 4 lane highways, lots of traffic, smooth whide roads but the navi kept ordering him to turn around, telling him we were going wrong. I said turn it off and drive with your head not the computer, but Harrys head told him the computer knows better and he turned. In five minutes we were back in no mans land in the dark.
Seville

No comments:

What I am reading

  • The Ghosts of Spain by Giles Tremlett - this book is great for someone like me who knows nothing of history, I have only just started but have learned a lot about Franco and why the people in my village are the way they are.
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - it was good but I cried, I have decided not to read anymore sad books. I used to love Booker Prize books, but they are all sort of sad, I need to find a new reading list.
  • Vedanta-voice of freedom by Swami Vivekananda - everytime I open this book I find something for me for the day, it is like the book knows what I need to get through the day, the chapters are short and each has a message about the universal human expereince and I suppose in my egocentric world I make believe that the messages are written for me. I know they are not, but it still amazes me everyday, that we all have the same problems even hundreds of years later.