Thursday, December 18, 2008

Quiet

I haven't written anything in a few weeks. I had no Internet and no phone. It is a very long and dull story which inlcudes many explicatives with reference to Telephonica the local phone company, whose customer service system for phone calls includes predominantly pacifying the customer by telling them someone will call them in the next few days, and promptly throwing all records of the calls in the garbage, particularly if you call the Enlish speakin department. But now, interestingly enough, exactly 4 weeks, exactly the time period of which we have the legal right to STOP PAYING the bill for non service, our phone miraculously works again! Go figure. In any case, the telephone man, who is merely a pawn in the multinational monster, was quite nice and Harry plied him with my homemade Christmas cookies, so next time we have a problem we may be able to call him directly and get him to come more quickly. We also got him to take away our rental phone, which is costing us a fortune, however, the next battle is for Telephonica to allow us to stop paying for it, the fact that we no longer possess it means nothing, there are forms to fill, people to call and all of that. Harry says he is glad I have a nemisis, because it gives me a good outlet for my negative thoughts, otherwise I may take my bad day out on him.. Now when I have a bad day I call Telephonica.. he hopes our phone issues are never solved!

No comments:

What I am reading

  • The Ghosts of Spain by Giles Tremlett - this book is great for someone like me who knows nothing of history, I have only just started but have learned a lot about Franco and why the people in my village are the way they are.
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - it was good but I cried, I have decided not to read anymore sad books. I used to love Booker Prize books, but they are all sort of sad, I need to find a new reading list.
  • Vedanta-voice of freedom by Swami Vivekananda - everytime I open this book I find something for me for the day, it is like the book knows what I need to get through the day, the chapters are short and each has a message about the universal human expereince and I suppose in my egocentric world I make believe that the messages are written for me. I know they are not, but it still amazes me everyday, that we all have the same problems even hundreds of years later.