Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Mean Monkeys


We had to do it, everybody has to do it, at least once. Visit the mean monkeys on the rock of Gibralter. We have actually been there more than once, and will likely go again. I love the apes, they steal and bite, and are greedy and selfish and smell funny. Everything that we the more developed cousins try not to be this mean little monkeys are and people pay to see it. Sweet irony or? Last time we went we didn't have to pay, if you are willing to walk the 1000 plus stairs up the side of the mountain you are rewarded with free visits to the monkeys, if you would rather drive you pay for the luxery. Fair enough, and the price also includes entry to the seige tunnels, which I suppose too one should see once, but need not see again. We save things like that for visitors, but unfortunately that one is ticked off the list, the next visitors will have to choose another Gibralter site to see, I think there are a few more museums on the big rock, the Barbary Macaques of course are always on the list.

No comments:

What I am reading

  • The Ghosts of Spain by Giles Tremlett - this book is great for someone like me who knows nothing of history, I have only just started but have learned a lot about Franco and why the people in my village are the way they are.
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - it was good but I cried, I have decided not to read anymore sad books. I used to love Booker Prize books, but they are all sort of sad, I need to find a new reading list.
  • Vedanta-voice of freedom by Swami Vivekananda - everytime I open this book I find something for me for the day, it is like the book knows what I need to get through the day, the chapters are short and each has a message about the universal human expereince and I suppose in my egocentric world I make believe that the messages are written for me. I know they are not, but it still amazes me everyday, that we all have the same problems even hundreds of years later.