Monday, November 10, 2008

Mickey Mouse Conference






I am back from my best conference ever. I have no idea why it was the best, but it defintely was. My group was small only 9 participants, that was probably a lot of it. I threw my agenda out on the first day, and decided to just go with the flow. In the end I covered all of my agenda in any case, but in a natural way, as and when the issues came up in discussion. I think was so much better, especially for teachers,, reluctant learners at best. I know because I am one!

I do not know what gave me the confidence and serenty to do that. Maybe the week in the ashram to clear my head, or maybe I have just done enough of them now, that I feel normal about it, I don't know, but I really liked that feeling whatever it was.

As for Disneyland Paris, well Keith my former colleague from Hannover summed it up best,, he said, the hotel is fake, the lake is fake, the food is fake,, there is nothing in this place that is not artificial. AND its true, the hotel was surreal, Newport Bay,, made to look like a resort one would find in newport bay, USA. The food,, was all american, Planet Hollywood, McDonalds, weirdness, try being a vegetarian in that. I ate so much bread,, I lived on bread...

But on the plus side,,, and cousin John you will love this. I faced my fear. John and I were in line for more than 2 hours for Space Mountain (in Disney World- Miami) only to chicken out and run away, leaving my mom, and his sister to face the ride alone. The fear of getting lost in the crowds of touristers was less than whatever faced us at Space Mountain. But this time, almost 20 years later, I was roped in, by two other workshop leaders, with the promise of seeing the Mickey in the park, they dragged me in one evening,, only to shove me onto Space Mountain before I had time to think. AND WE WERE IN THE FIRST CAR... I didn't actually SEE the ride,, I had my eyes closed most of the time, with a few seconds of peeking here and there,, that was enough for me,, but I did it,, more than once. Of course with eyes closed, you don't actually know when you are going upsidedown, or how many times,, but I did, so thats got to count for something right?

I called upon my meditation lessons, from the previous week,, by the third go round,, I simply sat down, relaxed, closed my eyes and that was that... Roller coasters could be a good way to learn how to deal with stress,, perhaps I have hit on a new form of anger managment training...

In any case, I managed to convince the boys that there were OTHER worthwhile rides in the park, so I finally got to SEE some of the park, as we ran, literally, from ride to ride, we had only 3 hours until the park closed. I think, November is the best time to go really, that and late in the evening, we had virtually no ques, and probably rode more rides in those three hours than most children do on a full day in July. I missed the mouse man though, but it was not without incident.

Andy, not wanting to dissapoint me and break his promise of a picture with Mickey, asked the woman at security where in the park we could find Mickey. She told us, in all seriousness, that after the evening parade, Mickey always retires to cafe Mickey, where he chats with the patrons of his restaurant. I asked how long he stayed there, thinking that we might not get there straight away, and she replied, "Oh, usually until 11..." I said thanks, but we didn't get more than three steps away without all of us bursting into tears with laughter,, I couldn't believe Andy had asked where we could find Mickey for me an adult, and the reply in very serious tones, about Mickeys daily routine, and then our serious consideration of the issue.It seems Mickey at Disney is a serious issue. As serious as any issue can be where over 70% of the people there are wearing black ears or ballgowns. You can see just how serious we were...
.

No comments:

What I am reading

  • The Ghosts of Spain by Giles Tremlett - this book is great for someone like me who knows nothing of history, I have only just started but have learned a lot about Franco and why the people in my village are the way they are.
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - it was good but I cried, I have decided not to read anymore sad books. I used to love Booker Prize books, but they are all sort of sad, I need to find a new reading list.
  • Vedanta-voice of freedom by Swami Vivekananda - everytime I open this book I find something for me for the day, it is like the book knows what I need to get through the day, the chapters are short and each has a message about the universal human expereince and I suppose in my egocentric world I make believe that the messages are written for me. I know they are not, but it still amazes me everyday, that we all have the same problems even hundreds of years later.