Thursday, November 13, 2008

112 is not telephonica

Maybe some of you see the funny right away, but if you are like me you will have to read on. I am moving, so I need to have my phone transferred to the new house. I tried to call the phonr company, telephonica, to make arrangements. I know they have English service but the first number I dialed was not this, so I tried again. The second number was also not English,but through random number pushing I was able to get a person. That person told me to dail 1004. I tried this and also noticed this was blue speed dial number on the phone. The number was no good for me, all Spanish, so I hung up and noticed the RED speed dial number 112. Maybe this is English, out of dsparation, I tried it. I got "Hola spanish spanish spanish..." so I ask, "Hable Inglese?" "Yes, whats your problem?" Great, now I am getting somwhere.

My problem, I want to change my phone, from my old house to my new house

"and this is an emergency?" is the reply.... Thinking its a language issue.. I say..

"well no,, not an emergency but it would be nice if we could get it done this month"

Its funny now,, her response... She says "but it is not fire? ambulance? meidcal problem? police?"

Oh,,, I get it now,, I have called 911,,, I appologise profusely and try to get off the line as fast as possible.. the operator is laughing,, stupid foriegner... Oh well, so it goes.

No comments:

What I am reading

  • The Ghosts of Spain by Giles Tremlett - this book is great for someone like me who knows nothing of history, I have only just started but have learned a lot about Franco and why the people in my village are the way they are.
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - it was good but I cried, I have decided not to read anymore sad books. I used to love Booker Prize books, but they are all sort of sad, I need to find a new reading list.
  • Vedanta-voice of freedom by Swami Vivekananda - everytime I open this book I find something for me for the day, it is like the book knows what I need to get through the day, the chapters are short and each has a message about the universal human expereince and I suppose in my egocentric world I make believe that the messages are written for me. I know they are not, but it still amazes me everyday, that we all have the same problems even hundreds of years later.