Monday, November 17, 2008

Harry's horrible rotten day

I am sort of jelous of Harry sometimes.

I have to get up early and go to work, my hours are bought and paid for by someone else, about 135 days a year, Monday to Friday, and sometimes weekends. Meanwhile, Harry works a but less, but more intense, he will work for 10 days in a row no break, 10 hours a day, and then he has the rest of the month free, the other 21 days are his, he can sleep late, and enjoy the sun of the day. I envy that, somedays more than others.

Today was one of those days. I woke late, hurried to school, knowing I have a full 5 days ahead of me. With a big sigh I went, thinking of the nice day Harry would have. His day was not totally his own though, we are moving, his job today was to move one room, thats all one room, not a big deal we thought.

So he started the morning with me, made my coffee, walked me to the car carried my school bag, kissed me good-bye and then heeaded back to the house for a lazy breakfast. After breakfast he decided to walk the dog. The first thing the dog did, was jump in a pile of manure, and roll, A LOT. So Harry took the dog back to the house and bathed her in the tub, "with shampoo and everything so she will smell nice for her doctors appointment tomorow" he said. The dog protested. It took a long time, and the bathtub looks like a war took place in there.

Then he decided it was time to start moving. He drove the van, which is too big for Ximena streets, up to the house, it takes awhile but it goes. He parked it in front of the house, which is at the top of a hill and the only angle he could get was with one wheel off the ground. He loaded the van, only to discover, that because the car has 4 wheel drive and some sort of differential drive, that when one wheel is in the air the others spin without power as it tries to correct for the one in the air. I think he made a lot of noise, trying to get it moving, and collected a crowd, so the neighbours all stood on the bumper of the van. Trying to get enough weight to get the last wheel to catch. It didn't work, but he made some friends. In the end he let the air out of the tyres until the last wheel touched enough to move, and drove slowly slowly to a gas station to put air back in the tyres. Then he drove to the new house, unloaded, and tried to come back home, unfortunately the new house is also on a hill, again once unloaded, weight change, one tyre off the ground. This time, no messing about, he let all the air out of the tyres, until all four were on the ground again, and slowly slowly to the petrol station again to put new air in the tyres again. I am sure the tyre profile lost at least a cm today, and they were new... but so it goes.

I came home, and the house is all ripped up, and nothing looks like it has really moved.. Harry came home an hour later, well after dark. So what do I do,, but ask what he did all day? Luckily I left out the rest of that sentence... (cause it looks like you did nothing but make a mess). He sat on the sofa and started, to tell my about his horrible day. Sometimes I am glad I only have to go to school.

1 comment:

Tony G said...

I think harry could have a blog solely about his vehicles! The two wires to make it start, the one tire that levitates, and so on... lol!

What I am reading

  • The Ghosts of Spain by Giles Tremlett - this book is great for someone like me who knows nothing of history, I have only just started but have learned a lot about Franco and why the people in my village are the way they are.
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - it was good but I cried, I have decided not to read anymore sad books. I used to love Booker Prize books, but they are all sort of sad, I need to find a new reading list.
  • Vedanta-voice of freedom by Swami Vivekananda - everytime I open this book I find something for me for the day, it is like the book knows what I need to get through the day, the chapters are short and each has a message about the universal human expereince and I suppose in my egocentric world I make believe that the messages are written for me. I know they are not, but it still amazes me everyday, that we all have the same problems even hundreds of years later.